Sunday, September 29, 2013

Killing Floor, Lee Child



Killing Floor, The First Jack Reacher Novel

Date Review Posted:  September 29, 2013
Authors:  Lee Child
Release Date:  March 1997
Web Site (as applicable):  http://www.leechild.com/
Related Blog (as applicable):  http://www.leechild.com/tour-blogs/
Rating:  *****  (A case could be made that I would only review the best of the best because if while reading a book it does not hold my interest, I would not finish it and therefore would not review it.)

Format:  Fictional Novel; intense drama

Reason For Reading THIS book:  Recommended by a long-time good friend Dave Jenks.  I am forever thankful for the recommendation.

Number Of Times I Have Read This Book:  One

Brief Summary of Content:  

This is the first of a series of novels featuring the main character, Jack Reacher.  As you read the novel you quickly grasp that Reacher is a man of great inner resource.  A former Army Officer, a former Military Police Officer, and someone gifted with insight in regards to the thinking of the criminal mind.  He always seems to be one step ahead of the villains in the book and then calls on his ability to anticipate their next move and create an effective counter move; oftentimes stretching the limits of the law.
 
Here is how the book affected me.  It is over 500 pages and I spent a Saturday when LSU was playing Georgia reading the entire book.  It is that good, that compelling and that riveting.  I tried to put it down several times to do other things only to go back to the book within minutes.

It would be unfair to anyone who wants to read the book to discuss the plot.  Suffice it to say it WILL keep you wanting more and that makes it hard to stop.  It has several stories that run at a parallel to the main story and they all intertwine until the very end of the book.

If you like stories like James Bond, and Jesse Stone, you'll love this book!

Final Test:  Would I read the book again?  Probably not.  Why?  I now know what is going on; that makes reading it again not something I would do.  But that does not diminish the high regard I have for the author and the book.  More importantly, there are more Jack Reacher novels I desire to read.  Would I give it as a gift?  I absolutely.

Next Review:  Not sure at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and critiques are always welcome.