Saturday, March 22, 2014

NOT COOL!



NOT COOL, The Hipster Elite and Their War on You
By Greg Gutfeld

Date Review Posted:  March, 2014
Authors:  Greg Gutfeld
Release Date:  March 2013
Web site:        www.ggutfeld.com

 *****  (A case could be made that I would only review the best of the best because if while reading a book it does not hold my interest, I would not finish it and therefore would not review it.)

Format:  Almost like a one-on-one conversation with you regarding America in 2014

Reason For Reading THIS book:  Read The Joy of Hate by Gutfeld and loved it, only made sense to read a second Gutfeld book and I was not disappointed, it is great!

Number Of Times I Have Read This Book:  Only once and I will probably read it again, the second time pulling quotes from the book.

Brief Summary of Content:   "The longer I live, the more I'm convinced the world's just one big high school, with the cool kids always targeting the uncool." Greg Gutfeld from his book, The Joy of Hate, November 2012.  What he means by this is, if you remember your high school days, there were groups of students who either choose to be in specific groups or were placed by others into specific groups.  Some of these groups (jocks, the bad boys, bullies, the elites and the wealthy) were considered "cool" groups to be in whereas other groups (like people now referred to as nerds, academics, maybe band members in some schools, people who refused to join in activities considered unacceptable by their parents, geeks and sadly some students that physical or mental disabilities and those students who were bullied) that were considered "not cool."   High school was like a proving ground for a teenager's development of integrity - doing the right thing at the right times, especially when no one was watching.  Yet it seemed like if you wanted to "belong" you wanted to belong to the "cool" groups instead of the "not cool" groups and that typically proved not to be in your best interest.  This book explores how these groups have been reversed in today's America and why.

The above quote describes this book in a very simple nutshell.  I was not sure what the book was all about but having read a previous book by Gutfeld The Joy of Hate I knew I had to read this one.  The premise of the book is quite simple, it talks about the difference between the people who the main streamers of this country consider "cool" people and those it considers "not cool" people.  If you never read the book, you may never know which group you fit in.  Me?  I proudly have reserved a place in the "not cool" category, at least for now.  The book tells stories, talks about people, interjects humor, actually lots of it, and points out where America is going and you may not like the direction or his arguments especially if you are in the "cool" category.  I felt like Greg was sitting across the table from me sharing a cup of coffee and interjecting self deprecating  humor throughout the conversation to make his very strong points on today's America and its upside down value system and still keeping it light and humorous as he always does and does very well.

What and who people once thought to be "cool" are no longer "cool" and what and who people once thought to be "not cool" are now thought to be cool.  One only needs to look at people like Miley Cyrus.  Not too many years ago her actions would definitely be considered "not cool" but today what appears to be most peoples' standards (or lack thereof), Miley Cyrus is the cool one and if you disagree you are the not cool one. 

The chapter on the U. S. Military is priceless maybe because I am retired military but I think not, it is priceless because of Gutfeld's obvious appreciation of the men and women in uniform and the sacrifices they quietly gave and continue to give to their country while others like Miley Cyrus and the Hollywood elites get the accolades.  I am NOT a Viet Nam veteran but I served in the military during the Viet Nam War (it was never a "conflict").  I vividly remember wearing my uniform in certain parts of the country and received ridicule and was even called a baby killer so I know what it is like to be disrespected by the country you serve and how you can go from being in the "cool" crowd to being in the "not cool" crowd literally overnight.  For Gutfeld's stand on the military, I like everyone else in uniform am eternally grateful.

The chapter on the nuclear family is also priceless as I grew up in an era where the family was where you learned what was important in life, or not.  Again at my age I have seen what has happened to the American family where it has gone from a family unit to one I no longer recognize and Gutfeld does a great job in explaining why that has been permitted to happen in America. 

These are just two examples of the contents of the book.  I would suppose that if you find yourself in the "cool" group of people in America today you will not appreciate what I believe are the truths contained in the book.  In fact I would guess that you will do your best to defend why you are considered to be "cool" and probably proud of it instead of truly listening to the debate. 

Personally I love this book, probably because after reading it, I find myself on the "not cool" side of most if not all of the arguments presented therein and take great pleasure in declaring that I'm NOT COOL!  I highly recommend the book regardless of which side of the arguments you find yourself on.  But just maybe, and more importantly hopefully, it might change your opinion or mind on the various topics discussed. 

Who Should Read the Book?    Everyone who loves freedom, personal independence, personal responsibility and common sense so that would make it everyone. 

Final Test:  Would I read the book again?   Absolutely!   Would I give it as a gift?  ABSOLUTELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and critiques are always welcome.