Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A MUST READ, LIVING AT THE SUMMIT


Living At The Summit
By Dr. Tom Hill with John & Elizabeth Gardner

Date Review Posted:  March 5, 2013
Authors:  Dr. Tom Hill
Release Date:  January 1999

  CCCCC  (A case could be made that I would only review the best of the best because if while reading a book it does not hold my interest, I would not finish it and therefore would not review it.)

Format:  Inspirational Novel and a very good one at that.  It is a story with a message.

Reason For Reading THIS book:  Dr. Tom Hill is someone who I have admired and consider a friend for many years.  When he wrote this book, it became a must read for me.  After I read it I believe it should be a must read for everyone.  It is entertaining but has a very valuable message; a winning combination.  I read it in one sitting the first, second and now the third time.  It is that compelling of a read.

Number Of Times I Have Read This Book:  Three; also have given copies of the book as gifts.

Brief Summary of Content:   Is this a fictional story with a message or a message with a fictional story.  Either way, it is an outstanding read.  It is the story of 5 very efficient business people, experts in their own special fields who get kidnapped dense in a jungle by a terrorist group.  The kidnapping is only a small part of the story.  The real story is how these five characters discover their long-time personal weaknesses and then how they meet a stranger in the jungle who puts them on the road to discovery.

It focuses on the five most important character traits of one’s life, those being, Spiritual, Physical, Relationships, Mental and Financial.  As you might guess, each one of the five people are somewhat deficient in one of these five traits.  The story line shows how they come to recognize their shortcomings and then creates a plan of action to take charge of those shortcomings and improve their lives.

The book has numerous references to other books and tapes some of which I have read or listened to and can assure you they are right on target with the storyline and purpose of the book.

Of particular importance, at least to me, was the discussion regarding left brain/right brain thinking and how knowing which is your dominant thinking patter can help you with relationship building by also understanding which side of the brain would dominate the person you want to build a relationship with.  It also discusses the problems that can exist when a left brain person tries to communicate with a right brain person while not understanding there is a difference and trust me on this, there is a difference.  For example, I discovered I was a right-brain (creative) student in school where the entire program was based on left-brain (stay inside the box) thinking.

Who Should Read the Book?    Everyone!  Especially anyone who wants to improve in the five priorities of a balanced life.  Especially for anyone who does not have or wants to identify their life’s purpose.  More importantly, if you have never heard a discussion about left-brain thinking people and right-brain thinking people, this is the book for you!  Simply a great read!

Final Test:  Would I read the book again?  ABSOLUTELY AND I AM!

IN A WORD!  I LOVE THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and critiques are always welcome.