Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Leaving A Legacy


Leaving A Legacy, By Jim Paluch

Date Review Posted: 
Authors:  Jim Paluch, JP Horizons
Release Date:  1998

  CCCCC  (A case could be made that I would only review the best of the best because if while reading a book it does not hold my interest, I would not finish it and therefore would not review it.)

Format:  Inspirational Novel

Reason For Reading THIS book:  I first read Leaving A Legacy more than 10 years ago.  I read 5 Important Things by Jim Paluch as well as Growing Dreams.  Each one led me to read the next one; they are that good.

Number Of Times I Have Read This Book:  Reading it for the third time but this time it is special.  When I first read the book, the lesson was not as personal as it is this time.  In fact I feel like Paluch is teaching me personally.  It is the story of a young boy who takes a life-lesson from an old-timer with the lesson being helping others especially in your outward years when you are loaded with life’s experiences.  It is about making a difference.  Now that I turned 68 and without the intent of bragging, I have read upwards of 1000 books. It is I who is getting to be an old-timer and whose brain is loaded with experiences and knowledge and the question becomes what am I going to do with that wisdom that I have collected over 68 years.  That is what this book is all about; leaving a legacy.  Of course you can leave a good legacy, you can leave a bad legacy or those who follow may have a hard time even knowing you were on the planet.  The choice is yours; this book will help you to think about what others will say about you in years to come.  The first two reads were very good.  This time reading the book really struck home!

Brief Summary of Content:   I was going to write a brief summary but when you read the Forward written by none other than Mark Victor “Chicken Soup for the Soul” Hansen, I could not improve upon that perfection.  Therefore Hansen’s Forward is repeated here as your encouragement to include this book in your personal library and to read it more than once.  You definitely will not regret it.  After reading it, I think you will agree it should be a gift given to your children and grandchildren.

Leaving A Legacy
Forward
By Mark Victor Hansen

The wisdom of the ages is found in books like Leaving A Legacy, and since wisdom is something we never seem to have enough of there is always a grateful sign when we can lay a book down and know a little more about ourselves.  Wisdom comes when all the knowledge we store in our mind mingles and assimilates with actual experiences to become “magically” transformed into real life applications.  And so, a life changing book can be full of all the things we already know, but need to be reminded of over and over again.  When it becomes your personal quest to build a better you and to break through the barriers that may be blocking your highest potential, then the reading of a single book can often become a turning point and a catalyst for your future.

The classic motivational books are written with the similar purpose of the ancients passing tales from one generation to the next, sharing stories of what they’ve learned in life with the hopes of helping another.  They tell about the things that matter in living successful lives…of building our belief systems, nurturing a positive attitude, understanding our individual potential, valuing the importance of honesty and character, and most importantly, learning to appreciate and add to the lives of those around us.

It is the helping of others that sustains life and gives us purpose, and we don’t have to look far to find a cause we can commit ourselves to.  Whether it’s the need to reforest the earth, feed a hungry world, revitalize our schools, help the American Red Cross replenish its supply of blood, or battle against illiteracy, we can all feel compelled to help in some way.

When you begin to read this wonderful book called Leaving A Legacy, it first appears that its cause is to appreciate the value of our “old people,” this group of individuals that should be revered and looked to for their wisdom, rather than forgotten or set aside by our society.

The biggest message we learn from this book, however, is that growing older is not a curse, but a blessing, and if you take the wisdom that comes with all of life’s experiences and use it to improve yourself and those around you, then each of us, young and old, can truly “flower.”  The real cause behind Leaving A Legacy is that everyone possesses the knowledge to make a difference in the world, and all that we know becomes wisdom bearing beautiful fruit when we have the courage to take action.

Whether you are seventeen or seventy, I challenge you to take the wisdoms found in this book, in other books, and most importantly found in your life and the lives surrounding you, and allow them to motivate you to take action for the betterment of humanity.

Signed
Mark Victor Hansen
Co-author, New York Times #1 Best-selling
“Chicken Soup for the Soul” series

And from the book:  Do you know what a legacy is?  It is the passing on of wisdom.  It is caring enough to take action, to do something and make a difference.  We leave a legacy by caring enough about the people who may not even be born yet, to use our wisdom in a way to make the world better because we were here.  We can leave a legacy.  No one is too you and no one is too old to apply the wisdom established through this foundation.  We must use our own lives to make a difference in our country, our job, our family, and even our own well being and self-esteem.

I am not sure just how macho it is to admit that at times it was difficult to read this book through the tears that seem to well up in my eyes, probably because of the glare, but they were there.  I found this book to be a very emotional read.  Probably because I felt like Paluch was talking not only to me but about me as well. I would like to think that writing this book review is in keeping with my own life's mission, to help people to do what they do to do it better.  By doing so I hope I am working on leaving a positive legacy of my own.

WANT LESSONS FROM THE BOOK?  Email me at JimBrown@gymbeaux.com and insert Legacy in the subject line and I will send you the lessons learned from the book.

Who Should Read the Book?    Everyone but especially teenagers and those approaching their retirement years.

Final Test:  Would I read the book again?  ABSOLUTELY AND I AM!  Would I give it as a gift?  ABSOLUTELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and critiques are always welcome.